Combining two roofs - best option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Previous owners had an extension built that basically acts as an independent structure with it's own boiler, consumer unit etc... and it's own roof. Didn't think anything of it when we moved in 2 years back but the valley where the two roofs meet has been a source of leaks, partly due to it being a wonderful leaf/debris trap that blocks the drainage unless I fight my fears and run up the ladder several times a year to clear.

On the original building (on the left in the pictures below), a loft conversion was carried out around 20 years ago, making use of the roof space. But the underlay used was non breathable, meaning we get a lot of humidity/mold issues and the insulation used, if I can call it that, was just 70mm polystyrene sheets. Additionally, one side of the roof has a slight sag to it where timber blocks supporting it on the ends of the joists have gone/rotted away.

On the extension (on the right in the pictures below), the upper rooms just have vaulted ceilings into the roof which thus far has only served a benefit to out-of-reach cobwebs so I can either just install a flat/lowered ceiling or add it to the roof work and make it accessible floor space from the main loft conversion potentially.

Pretty much all wood work has rotted and given the height/access issues, I would be inclined to replace with the modern plastic alternative. Will use this opportunity to have the old guttering replaced, chimneys to be capped/removed, rotten timber Velux windows replaced with metal/UPVC equivalent etc.

Roof options.jpg

These are just a few ideas I had. Basically we are on a slope so at the front of the house the road comes in at 1st floor level i.e. it looks like a bungalow from that perspective. My preference would be option E i.e. one I haven't thought of yet but a cheap way to remove a maintenance-required hidden valley. That said, given the other roof work required, I am curious to know what might be the better option?

A = take extension roof up to meet height of original roof. Introduces a flat roof area but by combining the two roof's gives an opportunity to expand the floor space in the loft

B = just introduce a flat (or slight angle) roof at the peak of the extension roof height. In my head I would envisage rain cascading down to meet the gutters at the lower level

C = make this a larger building project, add an additional storey to the extension (it would only look 2-storey from the road) and introduce a very large area of flat roof

D = a slight tweak to A, but takes the height of both a little higher (a foot would suffice) as I currently have to slightly duck (I'm 6'3) in the current loft but by doing this it would also reduce the area of flat roof.

Apologies for large post but hopefully this provides enough information to share a view

Thanks in advance

Martin

Sponsored Links
Think I might have posted this too early in the morning and it's got lost

Any thoughts appreciated

Why not take all roofs up to the highest ridge line. A small flat roof on top and a massive space for your trainset

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back