Options for weed/plant/everything removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

There has been large, thick vegetation outside the house, which consisted of what looked like wild blackberry thorny bushes, as well as other plants, weeds, grass, etc. This has now been chopped down (not very thoroughly, just to roughly clear the area). I want EVERYTHING to be totally gone and not regrow as nothing else is going to be planted there. It may even be covered up at sometime in future (probably not for a while yet), it is partially covered with stones at the moment.

I have searched on the internet and discovered something called Glyphosate. Is this what I need to look for as the ingredient in a weed killer suitable for the above? If so, are there any suggestions/recommendations on which one is very effective? I have read about it's carcinogenic properties. The area is not closed off by fencing, etc, so anyone (public) can access the area.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For domestic use, basically the only general weedkiller you can get is glyphosate. It used to be under patent and so expensive. The patent has now expired but if you buy a brand name (Resolva is one I have seen in a recent post) you are paying a premium just for the name. You can buy unbranded glyphosate and it is just the same thing.

Unfortunately for you this is not a good time of year to use it. Glyphosate is absorbed through the leaves and translocated to the roots where it works to kill the plant. So it is only effective when the plants are in leaf and growing, and that is not likely at this time of year.

Don't worry about the cancer rumours, they are nonsense.

For public safety, and efficacy, spray on a calm day so that it gets on the plants and not on people.

If you want to stop regrowth over a long period, just cover it with light excluding plastic or carpet. No need to mess about with dodgy chemicals that will only have a temporary effect.
Out of interest, why is it you want to kill everything, and what is your positive plan for this outdoor space?

You can chop and rake it at this time of year. Depending on size you can use a strimmer, loppers, shears, machette, saw. Clearing the small stuff first makes it easier. When chopped up you will be surprised how little room it takes up.

Green leafy stuff can be composted. Brown woody stuff you can shred or pack into a hippo bag and take to the tip. Actual logs you can offer for people with woodburners.

Small cheap shredders are no good.

In spring you can spray the small green regrowth with glyphosate.

Sponsored Links
No chemicals will work. Water will wash them away. The cheapest chemical is likely salt if you don't mind applying it continually. Covering is the only closest work-free option. Use landscape fabric and rock/aggregates/pebbles on top.

Glyphosate is sprayed onto the leaves which, in the growing season, absorb it, and is not washed off once it dries.

That's why it works.

It is not applied to the ground.

Doesn't work. If you kill one plant species, a different plant species will take over. Cheap option is just to let it over grow and chop them down.

No chemicals will work.
This is what is technically known as 'cobblers'. Companies spent billions and may years to produce herbicides that don't work? Really?

People used herbicides for decades before glyphosate, none of which that worked? Really?

The cheapest chemical is likely salt if you don't mind applying it continually.

So no chemical works, but the chemical sodium chloride works. Sorry, does anyone have any idea why we should pay the slightest attention to this nonsense?

So no chemical works, but the chemical sodium chloride works.
No, sodium chloride doesn't work. But it is the cheapest of the chemicals that gives the impression of working. The OP wants to keep the space clear, presumably with no work. He cannot. This is why it doesn't work. Covering the ground works. Any idiot can kill a plant, without spending billions and years of research, by pulling it out. Then something else will grow in that space. So that doesn't work either.

The problem is that you don't understand what the objective is: "I want EVERYTHING to be totally gone and not regrow". Killing the plants is useless, because more or different species will grow. Using chemicals will be no less effort than mechanical removal, and no more effective. That's a waste of money. Mechanical removal is better because you get to see the result immediately. I use string trimmer for this purpose.

Last edited:
The simple and obvious solution is surely to cover the area with a gas sealed cover, which extends underground for sufficient depth to guarantee absolutely no leakage ever, and fill it with argon or some other noble gas, whilst wondering what this orgy of nihilistic destruction is all about .
...or just wait for the heat death of the universe, then enjoy the utter lack of life and interest...

Thanks for all the very helpful replies!

StephenOak, I wish I knew that before they were all chopped just the other day. They were full of leaves and I think were still growing!

StephenStephen, I'm a 'no maintenance' person so don't want any weeds, bushes, etc (plus see below for another reason). No plans for the space as yet.

JohnD, it's already been chopped.

DiyNutJob, 'work-free option' is exactly what I am looking for!

StephenStephen, it's only a bit of bush under the window, not the rainforest! Hahah.

DiyNutJob, yes, the prickly, thorny branches are all over the place including in the way of public access, which I think is dangerous for me and anyone else who tries to go past (or over) them.

Get yourself a mattock, dig out as many of the root systems as you can be bothered with then cover with dpm or weed fabric (weed fabric drains better) and leave.

Thanks for the reply, oldbutnotdead.

For the moment, weedkiller has done the trick. Will look into the other suggestions in this thread to make the situation more permanent and post back with any reports.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back