Options: laminated, toughened and tinted glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of renovating my property and I have been asked what type of glazing I want.

I'm interested in using tinted glass for privacy, both upstairs and downstairs but I also want laminated glass for security, certainly on the ground floor anyway - the upstairs can have toughened glass if that's easier/cheaper.

As I understand it, I can't have toughened, laminated glass with a tint - the tint can ony be applied to one of the panes in a DG unit. I did wonder about a triple-glazed unit with one laminated, one toughened and one tinted but the cost would be prohibitive.

I've just been told by my builder that certain windows will need to be toughened glass due to safety regulations and my question is therefore: is laminated glass not classed as safety glass anyway? And if so, surely it means I can have laminated windows all round if I want. I did try and search for an answer to this but no-one definitely says that UK building regulations allows for laminated glass to replace toughened glass in terms of safety requirements if the glazing is below a given height.

Sponsored Links
you can order double glazed units with laminated glass.

I did for a patio door

they are rather thick and very heavy.

and more expensive

Replacement units are made to order so you can have whatever you want.

I don't know the validity of this document but it says, among other things:

Glass and Building Regulations
Impact Safety
England and Wales
Approved Document N
Scotland
Part P
Northern Ireland
Part V

"There are three safety glazing classifications: A (the highest), B,
and C (the lowest).

Pilkington Toughened Safety Glass would always obtain a Class
A classification

Pilkington Laminated Safety Glass with a PVB (poyvinylbutyral)
or CIP (cast-in-place) interlayer would normally achieve at least a
Class B classification depending on the glass and interlayer thickness.
Further information is given in the Pilkington Data Sheet
‘Pilkington Laminated Safety Glass.’

Wired glass such as Pilkington Pyroshield Safety Glass would
obtain a Class C classification

Glasses meeting these requirements and intended for use as safety
glasses must be permanently marked as conforming to BS 6206"

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk...gs/building-regulations/england/impact-safety

Laminate is most definitely a safety glass. In fact it is now specified under Document Q in all new builds for all doors. It is more expensive than toughened 4mm glass however

Are you after a grey or bronze tint ? If so you can get it in a 4mm tough glass ( and thicker if you require ) and therefore you can have you laminate and toughened sealed unit

Also as a side note to John D's post above Bs 6206 was superceded by En 12150 several years ago and that is the mark you will be looking for

Sponsored Links
Laminate is most definitely a safety glass. In fact it is now specified under Document Q in all new builds for all doors. It is more expensive than toughened 4mm glass however

great news.

it's my choice for downstairs doors and windows.

Also as a side note to John D's post above Bs 6206 was superceded by En 12150 several years ago and that is the mark you will be looking for

Ta

Are you after a grey or bronze tint ? If so you can get it in a 4mm tough glass ( and thicker if you require ) and therefore you can have you laminate and toughened sealed unit

Thanks - it's the grey tint I want and good to know that I can have it :)

I don't know the validity of this document but it says, among other things:

Glass and Building Regulations
Impact Safety
England and Wales
Approved Document N
Scotland
Part P
Northern Ireland
Part V

"There are three safety glazing classifications: A (the highest), B,
and C (the lowest).

Pilkington Toughened Safety Glass would always obtain a Class
A classification

Pilkington Laminated Safety Glass with a PVB (poyvinylbutyral)
or CIP (cast-in-place) interlayer would normally achieve at least a
Class B classification depending on the glass and interlayer thickness.
Further information is given in the Pilkington Data Sheet
‘Pilkington Laminated Safety Glass.’

Wired glass such as Pilkington Pyroshield Safety Glass would
obtain a Class C classification

Glasses meeting these requirements and intended for use as safety
glasses must be permanently marked as conforming to BS 6206"

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk...gs/building-regulations/england/impact-safety

Thanks - I went down the rabbit hole after that and ended up concluding (and confirmed by ronniecabers) that laminated glass is within the category, "safety glass" - there was an article on the UK Planning Portal that then linked to the relevant documentation.

Thanks - it's the grey tint I want and good to know that I can have it :)

Only thing to watch is if you are replacing the entire frame or wanting to use Energy efficient glass you will need a laminate that has a low e pane, that might be the one thing that stops you having you desired glass. I can't remember if Lami is available in low e...

Only thing to watch is if you are replacing the entire frame or wanting to use Energy efficient glass you will need a laminate that has a low e pane, that might be the one thing that stops you having you desired glass. I can't remember if Lami is available in low e...

Noted - I'm probably going for an air-source heat pump so I do need to optimise the glazing accordingly.

Absolutely right Crank 4.4 Lami hasn't any safety certificates...I'd never recommend 4.4 for use in areas a safety glass is needed ...its also more expensive than the others. honestly I'm not even sure why it exists LOL​

When I was doing lots of glazing back in the day, mainly residential but some commercial and schools, in those we fitted 'anti sun' in blue, green, bronze and grey and was available I toughened 4, 6, 8, and 10 and laminated 6.4, 8.8 and 10.8, is anti sun still a thing or is it called something else now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back