Options other than top soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am levelling out an area of the garden and read that the optimum amount of topsoil to use before laying turf is 5cm deep. The overall depth I need to raise the level by is 16cm. So in my mind, I need more substantial earth/mud beneath to build up the level more before putting top soil and turf down.

I was shocked when I started trying to find anything other than aggregates or top soil that it doesn't appear possible to get such earth delivered/it's not sold? Can someone tell me what I should be doing please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need top soil

how big an area, are you talking bulk bags or lorry loads

When I looked into top soil, it said the recommended thickness was 5cm, which is why I was confused given I need 4 tonnes to fill a space 4.8 x 3m to a depth of 16cm.

If you're patient and can be bothered, there can often be left over top soil given away for free on marketplace.

Sponsored Links
looked into top soil, it said the recommended thickness was 5cm,
Perhaps you are not reading that quite right. You do not need 5cm exactly and then something else. More that you need at least 5cm of top soil under the turf. More top soil is better than the sandy junk I have under my lawn.

So fill it all with top soil and make sure you compact it a bit as you lay it down in layers.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, is there a certain type of topsoil that is best for turf and wooden play equipment?

I found a local turf supplier who recommended a bulk top soil provider.

My local timber yard had the best deal on top soil bulk bags when I needed some

Maybe contact some grab lorry companies and ask if they can drop some top soil off after a job ... ? do they ever do that, or is there H&S etc eg. they don't know what's in the soil they take from one place

Any new builds or road works nearby? I got my top soil when major road works were underway nearby, utilising existing agricultural land, and I could see soil being removed by the lorry load. Visited the site, asked for the site foreman, paid only for haulage, then awaited delivery.

When I lived in North Wales I could pick up compost from local skip site, and top soil is basic soil with compost in, so I filled in the holes with compost since it was free, however over time it rots down, so I ended up with dips again, no problem for me I just added more, but that is why you don't want too much, so it depends how critical the finished level is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back