How much top soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan too turf very soon and currently have a garden that is compacted mud.

The compacted mud is pretty level how many inch's of top soil will I need before laying the turf.
Can I just rake the top soil over the compacted mud or do I need to turn over the compacted mud first then lay the top soil on that?
If I can get away with about 3" of top soil It means I can get away without taking the garden level down.

Sponsored Links
really need to break it up first, otherwise drainage will be a problem. once broken up 3 inches of topsoil will be fine

Im planning a new lawn soon and I also have lots of clay.

I plan to hire a rotavator to break up the clay soil, then spread loads of hoticultural grit, sharp sand and top soil which will also be rotavated in.

If you dont do anything about your clay, then your new lawn will get boggy when it rains, and will soon become compacted.

quite right about the clay, but hes said compacted mud, might not mean clay.

By the way youd be better off getting plenty of compost in their with plenty of organic material rather than just topsoil leadfarmer

Sponsored Links
Thanks Thermo

Today I spent 3 hours digging the garden down about 6-8", I levelled with a rake.
The garden did look quite good aerated but now as I have walked over it again it looks firm again (the soil is like a mix of soil and clay.

Now its been aerated but firmed slightly again.

Do I just lay 3" top soil on the firm (but level) soil tred down the top soil and lay the turf.

Many Thanks

By the way youd be better off getting plenty of compost in their with plenty of organic material rather than just topsoil leadfarmer

Thanks Thermo, I'll try and get my hands on some.

Planemad, how deep is your existing top soil? Is it sat on a pan of clay?

You could dig a sample hole and see how deep the soil goes. I did this in my lawn and discovered ive only got about a foot of soil and then its clay :(

Id like to pile my soil to one side with a mini digger and then remove a few inches of the clay, before topping back up with more top soil. But im probably creating a hell of a lot of hard work as my lawn is 50ft x 30ft.

Thanks Thermo

Today I spent 3 hours digging the garden down about 6-8", I levelled with a rake.
The garden did look quite good aerated but now as I have walked over it again it looks firm again (the soil is like a mix of soil and clay.

Now its been aerated but firmed slightly again.

Do I just lay 3" top soil on the firm (but level) soil tred down the top soil and lay the turf.

Many Thanks

yes thats pretty much it. work out of the garden as you do it, towards the point where you will start laying the turf from. That way you wont keep walking over it as you lay the turf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back