Prep prior to laying turf in my awful condition soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice on how to prepare my back garden prior to laying turf, or if seed may be a better option.

The garden is all mud at the moment but a mixture of heavy clay, some reasonable looking top soil, sharp sand, shingle, cement - all left from the previous occupant when they had slabs, a water feature and some raises beds. It's a mess.

I've turned it a few times and began raking but it's so clunky it doesn't really break down, whether wet or dry.

Is this mixture worth persevering with? Or should I create a load more work and lift a layer? If I have to do more work to get a good result I'll do it.

My plan was to remove the largest chunks of clay and shingle then add some top soil and rake it to get a consistent mix. I want a grass finish and plan to lay turf as I assume that'll give the best quality finish.

What's the best plan from here?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, it does look a mess.

Ideally rotovate it on a dry day when its been dry for a few days in a row. Very heavy clay won't really break up well so may need removed. Ideally you'd remove all rubble and stone too but anything smaller than half a brick size won't be the end of the world.

Adding half topsoil half grit/sharp sand is probably the best idea. If you don't want to change the level then you may need to remove some of the existing in order to bring new stuff in.

Thanks for the reply.

I've lost track of the levels but some has been removed already so don't want to go much further. I'll ditch the heavy clay sections then top up with fresh top soil and sharp sand (assume the sand is for increasing drainage).

I have no idea why it's all so patchy - looked like there was a patio at the rear, then a new one laid just in front and possible a water feature at some point.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to stay off it if its very wet. Being on turned over ground like that when its wet or trying to rotovate when wet will do the soil structure no favours at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back