Orange water flowing up in subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on one of those anoying jobs.

Woman has lived here 30years and this started the other day. No leak on her supply and no blocked drains. The water has lumps of orange in it and is running faster than a tap.

I've had a bit of a dig and it seems to be coming in under the front door.

Any ideas? Thanks.

IMG_7725.JPG

IMG_7729.JPG

IMG_7731.JPG

IMG_7732.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is it orange like rust, or like clay?

I get orange water out of the fire hydrant when it's flushed out, but it clears after a couple of minutes.

London has some old mains for the fire service and the hydraulic power company.

Does Rochdale have old factory sites where a disused main might have been forgotten?

Is it orange like rust, or like clay?

I get orange water out of the fire hydrant when it's flushed out, but it clears after a couple of minutes.

London has some old mains for the fire service and the hydraulic power company.

Does Rochdale have old factory sites where a disused main might have been forgotten?

It's like rust and like you say, exactly like when you open a hydrant. I'm in Salford so not sure what used to be around here.

Have you hit liquid gold? :)

If it had sweet corn in it, it would be a much easier job :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking a trial hole in the front garden might find an old pipe. It doesn't look like it's carrying mud.

I would suspect a burst water main that is washing out sand / subsoil and creating a cavity. A cavity ( a mini sink hole ) would be a potentially serious hazard. With that in mind I would ask the Water Company to sample the water and test if it is mains water. ( many companies do this test for free )

I phoned United Utilities, they are coming next Thursday o_O

If they don't find anything we will dig on the outside. Something else we spotted on the park opposite, loads of water going into some ducting, we put some green in it but it didn't show while we were there.

IMG_7745.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

The water has lumps of orange in it and is running faster than a tap.

I've had a bit of a dig and it seems to be coming in under the front door.

Any ideas? Thanks.
]
She's been Tango'd

Has there been any activity around the property such as a utility company, water. Electricity, Gas, any utility excavating in the roads or footpaths ? or indeed any "building Activity" at all anywhere near the property?

I am with Bernard as to a cause, with another possibility that being an ancient field drain that has eventually discharged its dammed up head of water?

Ken

I would suspect a burst water main that is washing out sand / subsoil

but is the soil an orange clay? I didn't notice any sign of mud or sand settling out of the water on the subfloor.

The colour looks like rusty water from an old iron main or tank. In a tank it sinks to the bottom. When a hydrant on a long leg is opened, it gushes out orange like that until it's all washed out.

Has there been any activity around the property such as a utility company, water. Electricity, Gas, any utility excavating in the roads or footpaths ? or indeed any "building Activity" at all anywhere near the property?

Ken

Nothing that I could see Ken, although my boss said there is some building work going on elsewhere in the park.

Ian is this Swinton park road Salford ?

Yes it is Charlie, small world!! If it's your house I hope you don't think I'm being unprofessional asking advice on a DIY site, there are some very experienced people on here.

I've only come accross this twice before. Once in near Heaton Park where a drain was leaking and once in Oldham where there was a blocked outlet in the subfloor which lead to a canal. Same orange colour but we never knew the source of the water but there was a channel that seemed to be designed to take the water away:
IMG_2717.JPG

I live nearby Ian, last year all that road was dug up for new gas mains i think, if you look at google maps(streetview) you can see for yourself.

Now that’s a useful bit of info.
The photos show what looks like rust in the water. Are there canals and industry nearby?

Yes, thanks (y)

I can see their markings on the road a bit further up
IMG_7749.PNG

So maybe the water is using the old gas pipe as a duct and entering the house. If I could dig onto the old pipe and see if that's right. I would have never thought of that in a million years, thanks again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back