Orange water flowing up in subfloor

salford drain.jpg

That looks like a drainage pipe that should be removing water and not delivering water. Plastic corrgated pipe suggest it is a land drain.

Two locations delivery the same coloured water suggest to me that the drainage system is not coping.

Quite possibly that land drains on higher ground are draining that land but the amount of water is too much for the outlets to the river and as a result water is backing up in the system. Hence water is coming out of the drains in the lower drain systeme inlets.

Sponsored Links
That was a different job Bernard, same colour of water but the subfloor was built with a gully that ran to the canal. I guess they could have had gas work done too.

That was a different job Bernard, same colour of water but the subfloor was built with a gully that ran to the canal. I guess they could have had gas work done too.

I knew it was a different job :LOL:

Just goes to show a mix of lateral thinking plus the totally invaluable element--- local knowledge ---

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you know about the orange water running from the Delph at Worsley. I believe it heads down to Salford. That's orange, due to iron oxide I think.

That could be my fault over pumping into the surface water drain :LOL:(y)
IMG_7732.JPG

Where is this fabled aquifer? Up here that sort of brew goes down very well?

Is this the reason all the canals round Worsley are orange? Always wondered about that

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4952348,-2.3713881,1826m/data=!3m1!1e3

View attachment 140336
Yes, go a little upstream from there and you arrive at The Delph.
Out of interest, if you should visit it, you will see two openings (rather overgrown now) which mark the entrance and exit of the unique underground canal system which was an adit extending for many miles on three levels, created in the 17th century. Coal was brought out in narrow barges called 'starvationers' (due to their clearly visible ribs). Later, it was used as an efficient means of draining the more recently-dug deep shaft mines.
Perhaps the iron oxide in the water extends from there.

Yes, go a little upstream from there and you arrive at The Delph.
Out of interest, if you should visit it, you will see two openings (rather overgrown now) which mark the entrance and exit of the unique underground canal system which was an adit extending for many miles on three levels, created in the 17th century. Coal was brought out in narrow barges called 'starvationers' (due to their clearly visible ribs). Later, it was used as an efficient means of draining the more recently-dug deep shaft mines.
Perhaps the iron oxide in the water extends from there.

Interesting. I drive past the Delph a lot (usually in a crawl queuing to get on the M60), and always thought I should get out one day and have a look around.

I've seen something similar recently…

Found it was the incoming mains water pipe had rusted away; Galvanised iron/steel pipes installed in the 1950's. Disturbed and exposed when some work was done in the pathways. Had quite a flood in the garden and road. Landowner, council and water company had a major argument whose responsibility it was to put it right…

When were the properties put onto mains water? are they using galvanised pipes?

The supply is Lead but not leaking this side of the stoptap in the footpath. The main could be steel but not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back