Order of proceedings in the bathroom!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a couple questions on the roll call of decoration order in my bathroom!

1. Steel bath is in position (with wall mounted taps)

I've built half a frame with 2x2 batten's on the supporting walls.

As the flooring hasn't been done yet, I've left the exposed sides as the new flooring will encompass a 5mm plyboard covering the entire room as the floorboards are all over the place and then the vinyl flooring is going on top of that.

Option A - Should I finish the frame so the ply flooring will butt up to the frame or is it better to have that running under the bath for a few cm more?

Option B - Should I be running mastic round the half full bath and then tiling with half a frame done, then worrying about the rest of frame after the tiling has been completed?

(I take it that the flooring should be the second to last thing to be done (with the bath panels being the final piece in the jigsaw)).

T.I.A!

Sponsored Links
You haven't made it clear what the frame is for.

Is it for a box around the bath that is to be tiled or for bath a panel/s?

If for panels then you will have to consider if the 5mm ply and vinyl running under the frame will restrict the height for fitting the panel but, if tiling, then it makes no real difference. I prefer to know the vinyl runs under the bath.

As for sealing, you could run a bead along the edges of the bath before you tile but, without the framework finished (that may be supporting the bath?),half filling the bath may make the bath drop too much so you should do the final seal with the bath half full after all framework and tiling is complete.

Sorry, yes. The frame is primarily for the bath but also to enable the actual fitting of the bath panel - it's not for tiling.

If I create the frame now before the flooring, I will obviously recess the frame by the width of the panel (20mm). Is that enough for the vinyl fitter to play with?

I don't want to take one step forward and go back two when it comes to the flooring. I've had enough of that already with this house :LOL:

Sponsored Links
That should be enough for the fitter to work with - assuming that you mean the vinyl will run up to the frame and the panel will be attached after the flooring is laid. I initially thought you meant that the vinyl was going to run completely under the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back