Order to do paint work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Do anyone agree with the order on which a room should be painted? (once all the prep work has been done)

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-paint-a-room-1824814

According to that link above,
1 / ceilings if doing ceilings
2/ Walls with roller and then brush for the edge trim
3 / Wood work (wardrobe door, skirting board and window door wood work

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
By cutting in on the wall, what do you mean? do you mean the edge (anything close to woodwork, ceiling) on a brush and then the main wall on a roller?

Sponsored Links
2 and 3, I normally do the woodwork before the walls. Why? Most of the houses that I work in are Victorian. It would be impossible to create a clean cut in line along the top of the skirting using the eggshell. I often have to create a cut in line one or two mm above the skirting to accommodate a hundred years of bashes and dinks. And, most of the rooms have picture rails- they definitely need to be cut in by the emulsion rather than by the eggshell.

There are however some downsides. If using a rubbish paint like Farrow and Ball estate emulsion, you can get fisheyes in the emulsion when you cut it in to oil based eggshell. On one job I had to wait a week for the eggshell to cure before I could cut it in with F&B (it was a large hallway so waiting wasn't too much of an issue though). Although the rollers I use don't create much splatter, I do spray the tops of the painted skirting with a fine mist of water to repel any micro splatters, alternatively I lightly rest some masking tape over the top edge of the skirting.

If I were painting a new build with white woodwork and light coloured walls I would do 2 and 3 in that order.

2 and 3, I normally do the woodwork before the walls.

Thanks for your thoughts - Have attached picture to put things in perspective. Lot lot of wood work - Window frame - skirting board and Wardroble doors and even door storage above the bed....

Still thinking wall first and then wood work or would you disagree?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• 20191215_131343_resized.jpg
    20191215_131343_resized.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 91
  • 20191215_131411_resized.jpg
    20191215_131411_resized.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20191215_131434_resized.jpg
    20191215_131434_resized.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200705_132412_resized.jpg
    20200705_132412_resized.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 106
I would do woodwork first. Two key reasons-

1. Where the skirting meets the wall is far from smooth

2. When trying to cut in the eggshell on the edge of the architrave it is difficult to maintain a wet edge.

Totally up to you though. I just find it works best for me.

Thanks so much Opps - might try both option to see what work best for the best finish when i do the first coat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back