Painting Gloss Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Board!

I've just finished painting the walls to a room and am going to do the Skirting boards.

I've got some high gloss trade paint and a really nice brush. I've prepped the woodwork by sanding it down. Less than a year ago they were taken right back to wood and fully prepped to top coat.

I've keyed the surface with a medium paper.

Can anyone offer advice as to how to get a really good finish? I've got a gloss roller but won't be able to get into the mouldings with it. How can i paint without the brush strokes?

Cheers for your help.

Mr. Tickle.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

When I've used gloss in the past I have followed the below to get good result's

Don't put the paint on too thick, you will get runs. Two or three thinner coats will be better
Lay the paint of as it starts to dry, basically drag a near dry brush across the surface to help knock down any brush marks.
Lightly sand the surface between coats going careful on the edges of the moulding so you don't go back to bare wood.

Good luck and have a nice weekend. Must confess I now paint my skirting before fixing it to the walls now as it's easier on the back! Plus with things no more nails adhesives you can just stick and leave it. :)

Sxhall

Is the gloss solvent or water based?

Synthetic brushes only for water based.
Natural bristle for solvent based

Natural bristle on water based paint, regardlesss of how "good" the brush is will not create a good finish.

It is solvent based i beleive - will double check!

Thanks for all your input.

The painting is going to take a couple of days really - can i leave a paintbrush in White Spirit over night / 24hrs and it be ok to use again? Is there another way to avoid cleaning the brushes all the time? I know it's lazy and if there's not a way, i'll just clean them everynight.

Can i wrap a plastic bag around the head, seal it off and not have the brush buggered the next day?

Cheers for your input again!

Mr. Tickle.

Sponsored Links
After rubbing down hoover around the boards...pay perticular attention to the bottoms..then dampen a cloth with some linseed oil just so its tacky and wipe over the skirtings...that will help remove any bits stuck to the surface by static..

Make sure you paint kettle is clean as well as your brush, it you are looking for a high gloss finish then avoid water based paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back