Glossing doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm busy glossing the doors in my bedroom (door and 2 walk-in wardrobes) and can't seem to get a good finish. I've applied the paint with a brush then used a gloss roller to even the finish out but I keep seeming to get bits of dirt in the finish. The paint is brand new, the brush and roller are brand new. Is there any way around this? If I sand the dirt out then retouch, will it look patchy once it's dried? Thanks! Dave

Sponsored Links
Did you prep and undercoat your doors before you started on the gloss?

I sanded with fine paper as per instructions on the tin and where I've put in a new handle I primed and undercoated where I'd filled the old one. the paint I'm using says one-coat but I thought it'd be best if I prepped the filler. I think it's the application. I'm using a brush then a 4in roller to smooth it out. Would it be best to just use the roller?

Did you wipe it down well with tack cloth or white spirits after sanding?

Sponsored Links
I used a tack cloth. I think the problem is partly because I was using too much paintso it was taking forever to dry. I have had a practice on some other doors around the house using less paint and have had much better results. Any tips are still very welcome however! Thanks.

I'm using a brush then a 4in roller to smooth it out.
it might be better to use the 4" roller to apply the paint and then use the brush to lay it off carefully afterwards. this will prevent "orange peel" and can improve the look slightly. Also if you use a new brush it will probably not be as good as if you use an old worn down brush.

Thanks for the tip, I've had a go this morning and the result was much improved (though still not decorator standard!). Thank you all for your tips. David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back