Painting of Front Door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have currently begun preparation for painting my front door (both inside and out). Inside will be gloss white and outside will be gloss black (i plan to do the black last). Any recommendations for achieving the best possible finish? Roller? Brush?

I did paint my back door (in gloss) about a month ago and ended up with a few bubbles on one area, any ideas on preventing from this happening again?

thanks...

Sponsored Links
DO NOT paint your front door with black gloss. The sun will make the black gloss blister.................

The front door has to be black as i live in a listed area, although i do prefer black front doors anyway. There is also a metre long ledge which extends over the front of the house which should provide some shade, also the sun is only on the front of the house up until noon, so hopefully this should not be a problem?

Although it does explain why the back door blistered, it was quite a sunny afternoon...

Black gloss blisters when sun makes contact, even after the black gloss has dried. In my opinion black gloss & exterior varnish should be banned from using outdoors as they have to many problems.

Sponsored Links
Looks like i'm in the thick stuff then... just have to keep my fingers crossed all goes well...

The cooler weather should help a bit, rather than the top layer drying really fast and then the solvent trying to get out...

Paint it when the sun has passed....................then leave open for aslong as you can............sometimes you can take out the rimm adges that are applied onto the facings around the door..........................which enables u to close the door, without it making contact to the facings.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back