Orientation of threaded joints

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Today I have been fitting an isolating valve in the hot water supply to my kitchen sink mixer. The valve is one intended for wall mounting, with 1/2" male thread which goes into the wall and 3/8" male outlet at 90 degrees which fits the stainless flexi hose to the mixer. My problem is that if I fully tighten the valve the outlet will point roughly downwards but to reach the hose it needs to point roughly upwards. I applied 8 turns of PTFE tape plus some liquid PTFE to the valve but it screwed in quite easily and appeared to bottom out rather than getting increasing friction between the threads. I would prefer to use compression fittings but they don't have them here in Croatia and everything is based around the old fashioned iron pipework. I have had similar problems when using the eccentric male-male fittings supplied with shower mixers and have never known how to get the orientation correct whilst ensuring a secure, watertight joint. Any advice much appreciated. The hot water system is drained at the moment to investigate another problem.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back