Elbow, tap connector and check valve - not compatible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a shower mixer which doesn't have an inbuilt check valve and I was planning to add one in the space behind the body of the unit. Right now the way it is configured is this is attached to the 15mm cold feed and so the threaded end pokes out of the wall:

elbow.jpg

The showers flexi hose threads onto the male end shown above and everything (outwith the need for a check valve :rolleyes:) works.

I need to introduce a check valve like this:

check.jpg

It makes a good connection between the male elbow and the flexi hope - until that is the body of the shower is offered back onto the wall, at which point the flexi hose is compressed and the flow is blocked.

I attempted to add a right angle after the male elbow, so as everything would fit behind the body of the shower mixer. This would work in terms of space, but unfortunately I couldn't get a good seal between the male elbow (first pic above) and this bent tap connector:

tap.jpg

Why does this tap connector not fit the male elbow???? :( I thought it was just a 1/2 inch thread that would be compatible with my elbow?

Any idea what I can use??? I need to add the check valve, and if it is the first thing to attch to the male elbow it doesn't leave enough room for the hose. What sort of right angled fitting do i need that will sit between the elbow and the check valve???

Thanks - hopefully that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Can't really get my head around what you are trying to do , why do you want to fit a non return valve to the flexi hose ?? Non return valves fitted before the shower would surely be easier ?

the body of the mixer has hot and cold flexible hoses that are 1/2 inch which currently attach to the wall elbows. I need the check valve between those (now too late to fit it before the shower) on the cold supply

Pic/details of the shower would help.
Is it a Hudson Reed, multi outlet, hang on the wall, type unit by any chance?

NRVs usually go on the supplies before the wall outlet connections!

Can you not get to the supplies elsewhere such as in the loft or wherever they T off from other pipework?

Sponsored Links
Not without a LOT of hassle and work. Its one of these incidentally:

I suppose the easiest options would be if i could find either:

a) a 90 degree connector similar to the tap one illustrated, but that fitted properly on the 1/2 inch thread of the male elbow

or

b) a small check valve like I have but which works in the opposite direction (ie instead of female upstram and male down, it is the opposite - this could then fit at the opposite side of the flexi hose)

or

c) a flexi hose of 30cm that that was 1/2 inch female thread either side but has its own check valve built in.

if one of the dials isn't returned to 12 o'clock it allows the cold and hot to mix = lukewarm hot tap in kitchen, running bath etc :cry:

Why does this tap connector not fit the male elbow
The tap connector has a little spigot inside which retains & supports the washer. This spigot will be too big to go inside the male elbow therefore the washer is not compressed between the mating faces. Therefore no seal.
Are you sure that your shower valve does not have built in check valves which may have gone faulty or been lost during fitting?

The shower mixer valve looks unusual,can you post the name of the mixer or a pdf link of the install instructions. There may be a chance of fitting check valves in the shower mixer body.

Seems the hot & cold supply to the shower mixer are not of equal pressure :idea: are they ?

The shower below is a Mira Coda so not yours. All the bar mixer showers that I have dealt with have NRV fitted as below. It is the little cylinder that is held in place with a circlip. Many showers do not have a circlip so I have known them fitted without the check valve or with only one. If you knew the make & model you could buy replacements but showerdoc are quite helpful and may be able to advise. I think that if you remove the flexis from the valve body you will expose the place where the check valve ought to be. If you have one in there or two but with one of them broken getting replacements will be easier. Is it a new shower?

upload_2018-2-6_20-11-29.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back