Elbow connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in the absence of pics I hope words will do :D

I am trying to replace my side fill cistern float valve. I've bought the new float valve, but as ever in my house, nothing is straightforward.

The water pipe runs along the wall about 150mm lower than the valves inlet, and is joined by flexi hoses.

The existing float valve comes out of the side of the cistern but it then has a built in elbow, which points downwards towards the water pipe.

The new float doesn't have such an elbow, it just runs straight out of the cistern to the side, and as result the flexi hose won't reach it. I'm not sure a longer hose would work, as the existing one runs almost vertically, it feels like it would have to perform too many contortions! And might be too long anyway.

The flexi hose is 15mm I think. I tried a 15mm stopend on it, which fits onto the old (and the new) float valve fitting.

Anyway, long story short I was hoping to put an elbow connector on the new float, to replicate the existing setup and then just attach the existing flexi hose to that.

However I can't find a suitable elbow connector...

Sponsored Links
Thanks both - was unsure about those type of connectors being 15mm vs 1/2" (i.e. different sizes at each end) but from those suggestions I assume that's just inside vs outside measurements, if that makes sense. Will give them a try. Thank you

Sponsored Links
I assume that's just inside vs outside measurements

no, it's because the pipe is 15mm external diameter, and the valve (like a tap) has a threaded connector that is called half inch BSP, but for historical reasons, does not measure half an inch.

no, it's because the pipe is 15mm external diameter, and the valve (like a tap) has a threaded connector that is called half inch BSP, but for historical reasons, does not measure half an inch.

My understanding of BSP fittings, was the measurement referred to the bore?

My understanding of BSP fittings, was the measurement referred to the bore?

it's a size that used to fit onto an iron pipe of 1/2" internal bore

but the pipe tech was subsequently changed so the pipe wall was thinner

and as the fitting goes on the outside, it is bigger by twice the thickness of the original pipe

plus a bit of slack

minus the thread depth

The one thing you can be sure of is that it does not measure 1/2"

nor even 3/4"

here we are

1/2 Inch BSP
external diameter 20.99 mm / 0.825"
14 TPI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back