OSB Expansion Gaps For Warm Roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a build, with a warm roof, in the garden and wondered about OSB and expansion gaps.

I've read that each sheet needs an expansion gap between it and the next one. However, I've also read that sheets can be butted up to each other with no gap but you then have to leave a gap around the whole perimeter.

I don't know what's correct here.

Leaving a gap between each board doesn't make sense - especially for the OSB top deck that is laid over the PIR. It would also make the bonding of the rubber roof tricky and it would look odd as the gaps would be visible (and with water pooling in the "gaps").

Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing a build, with a warm roof, in the garden and wondered about OSB and expansion gaps.

I've read that each sheet needs an expansion gap between it and the next one. However, I've also read that sheets can be butted up to each other with no gap but you then have to leave a gap around the whole perimeter.

I don't know what's correct here.

Leaving a gap between each board doesn't make sense - especially for the OSB top deck that is laid over the PIR. It would also make the bonding of the rubber roof tricky and it would look odd as the gaps would be visible (and with water pooling in the "gaps").

Comments and thoughts appreciated.
I've never bothered with ex'-gaps.

No gaps in stand alone building, if you are building up to something inflexable like masonry then you would be wise to leave a 10mm gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back