Our Cyberman is leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, thats why my wife is calling it - and she is petrified :D

I *think* this is quite new leakage as I've not noticed it in nearly 2 years since we have lived here - but maybe I just never thought anything of it. The unit is stone cold at the moment and most of the leakage is hard/brittle, although the residue on the live tail underneath is sticky. I'll check the feel again when the oven/kettle is on as thats our biggest load.

cm2.jpg

cm1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Turn a heavy load on and see if you can hear any noise from it. If there's a poor connection you might be able to hear a crackling sound.

Sponsored Links
Call the DNO (who provides the electric) possible bad connection inside, but it is not yours, it belongs to supply authority so they need to fix it.
Indeed, but no-one seems yet to have pointed out that 'seepage of pitch' from those old cutouts in a common occurrence - and that, whilst it certainly needs to be seen by the DNO (and probably replace), it does not necessarily (in fact, I think very rarely) indicate any impending catastrophe.

Kind Regards, John

ha, thanks for the replies - I did try it with about 6kW load on the system for 10 minutes and there was no crackling noise, smoke or warmth so assuming its nothing critical. Will get on to the DNO though.

Its a 60's build house though so assuming the supply is from that era if that makes any odds

It's your home.
Your family live/sleep in it.
Call the DNO and tell them you have bitumen/tar seeping out the main fuse.
Why take the risk that it 'may not' be anything to worry about? Especially when it won't cost you anything for them to come out and check.

Call the DNO and tell them you have bitumen/tar seeping out the main fuse. Why take the risk that it 'may not' be anything to worry about? Especially when it won't cost you anything for them to come out and check.
Indeed, but it seems that the OP has already agreed that he needs to call the DNO.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back