Combi Boiler in Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there can anyone help?

I have a combi boiler in the small bedroom of our rented house. I have a Carbon Monoxide detector (new) that seems fine, but think I'm getting a small amount of leakage.. it was tested not long ago as fine, but someone mentioned needing to give clearance around the boiler...

Its a small room with a double bed that's quite high and is directly under the boiler about a foot clearance vertically. Someone said that small amounts can leak out and flow over the bed...

We've noticed headaches, more so when our heads are at the boiler end, but no headaches when slept in another room.

Now the monitor hasn't gone off, and was tested not so long ago, but is it wrong to have a bed directly underneath and is there any legal / recommended clearance that is needed?

Many thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
As long as the manufacturers clearances are observed and the boiler is fitted according to the manufacturers requirements then you are good to go... I wouldn't have a boiler in my bedroom but there is no legal reason why it shouldn't be there

I am not aware of any legal requirements on distances apart from boiler makers requirements, usually less than 100 mm.

Of course you have not bothered to tell us the boiler model.

All that is required is for a gas safety Certificate to be available and reissued every year.

Boilers are not recommended in bedrooms but that is mainly because of noise issues.

Presumably you selected the property to rent knowing about the boiler being in a bedroom.

Tony

What is your boiler make and model? I assume it is not an open flued combi boiler.

Banned Locations for Gas Appliances:
  1. Open flued appliances in bathrooms or shower rooms

2. Flueless appliances in in bathrooms or shower rooms

3. Open flued appliances above 14kW gross input in bedrooms or rooms meant as sleeping accommodation

4. Open flued appliances below 14kW gross input in bedrooms or rooms meant as sleeping accommodation if the appliance is not fitted with an atmospheric sensing device.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Thanks for the replies..

I did rent the house knowing the boiler was there.. it wasn't ideal but other houses were less ideal for other reasons, and I believed that it would be fine. I didn't think that the boiler model was important, my apologies, I know that its rare to get a combi boiler that's not room-sealed..

My main concern was just having a bed underneath as it seems to give us headaches yet not appear to set off a carbon monoxide detector...

I wanted to know if it's a usual occurrence for small amounts to be leaked as I was advised by someone or if there should be absolutely nothing coming out...

Many thanks.

There should be absolutely no leakages at all that can be measured with the usual equipment.

The CO monitor should be fitted about 400 mm below ceiling level and about 1 m horizontally from the boiler.

But you could experiment putting your CO monitor closer to the boiler. But not touching!

CO is lighter than air and the monitor should not be lower than the boiler.

There is often a lot of CO on busy streets and in kitchens doing gas cooking.

I expect your headaches are caused by your imagination.

I imagine that I can smell CO when I breath in boiler combustion products.

You have not replied but do you have a current safety Certificate?

Tony

Is the flue terminal ( the bit outside the house ) close to the window ? It might be combustion products from the flue are getting into the room via window(s) or air vents.

The alarm should still indicate CO if there is CO coming in through window or air vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back