our new patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
this is our new patio that we have just completed.
just outside our back door was a tiny area and then a brick wall which went up a level, the garden goes up to 3 levels.
we decided to do away with the brick wall and all the earth behind it and make ourselfs a patio.
our main problem was to sort out a retaining wall that would hold up the garden.
we didnt want to go to the bother or cost of having a brick one built, so we were goinjg to do it with sleepers, but we were told that the sleepers would have to be around 8 feet high, so that 4 feet could be buried into the earth for the strength of the retaining wall. anyhow, we decided to use Gabions instead which was much less costly and easier to do.
all the work was done by me and the wife, apart from laying the patio slabs. the hardest part was getting rid of the earth, there must have been about 5 ton of it.
in the pictures you can see the results.

cheers,
chris....

Sponsored Links
nice job, though I dont like seeing the wire mesh once its all done. But hey - each to their own. well done

Yeah, it can be a bit of an eyesore but the misses has been covering the majority of it up with her plants.
Gives us a nice bit of area to sit anyway.

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers
Chris.....

Sponsored Links
looks great, i prefare to see gardens that have been done by normal people and not the pro's. good job

I think the wire of the gabions being visible adds character - it hints at the engineering purpose they serve rather than trying to hide it away. Your patio looks very smart.

nice picture! i am planning to do something like that so maybe i will ask for good tips and advices. well done!

nice picture! i am planning to do something like that so maybe i will ask for good tips and advices. well done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back