Our scary project.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I have been milling around the site since before we moved into our new house in October. We bought the house hoping we could add a double storey extension for a bedroom/ensuite and utility/wc/extra living space.

Now we are all settled in I wanted to start a new thread so I could keep track of our new dream and attempt to gather advice from this forum and hopefully help others along the way.

1st STEP: The plans

We have been struggling with this a little and there has been a distinct lack of imagination on our part!
Basically we have a separated toilet/ bathroom at the side of the property and this is where we want to extend from. The plan was to use the toilet room as a corridor into the extension where there would be a master bedroom/ensuite.

The remaining bathroom would be pushed back a bit to allow us to fit a toilet in there. However, the builder we're currently dealing with said it would be tricky to come that far across the house as we would hit the external chimney stack. He wants to leave a gap of 50cm between the extension wall and chimney so no rainwater will touch it. This scuppers the plans for enlarging the current bathroom as there would only be 50-60cm to go through- not really enough to walk through to get to the new toilet/basin.

So the only plan we've come up with so far is to convert the bathroom into a shower room. The we would go through the new corridor as planned. Ahead will be a slightly bigger family bathroom with bath etc, and turning right would be the master bedroom. So not strictly an ensuite but we could have an extra door leading from the bedroom into the bathroom to make it a bit more ensuite like?

Any opinions on this and suggested alternatives are greatly received!!

Sarah

Sponsored Links
if you can come up with a fairly detailed plan ( with measurements ) of what you have and what space you have then I'll have a play at it for you.. I like this sort of thing..

Thanks- Is this enough detail? photobucket playing up a bit!

possibilities-2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back