Out building project/ Lining the walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
advice please for my out building renovation project ( sounds grand ) the walls are 4 inch brick so the building is cold with a tendency for damp on the one side , what would you recommend that I get the walls lined with , and can it be plastered afterward (plasterer required)

Sponsored Links
You could line the walls with a timber frame internally.

This will need to be 100mm thick and filled with p.i.r. foam board i.e. celotex or kingspan. You may also require 25mm across the studs then foil backed plasterboard. A polythene sheet will need to be fixed to the brick wall prior to fixing the stud.

Noseall thanks for that:

more questions sorry;

do I stick the plastic sheet to the wall . for the timber frame do I plug and screw or use adesive ? I forgot to mention I have a 4 inch concrete roof will this work on there as well ? Do I need any thing on the ceiling ??? How far apart should the studding be ,

Thanks again .

The plastic sheet could be stuck to the wall with silicone. Once the studs are fixed it will hold in place.

Set the studs at 450mm or 400mm centres depending upon whether you use 2.4m long plasterboards or 1.8m long fellas.

For the roof i would treat it as a warm deck and use 100mm insulation backed plywood sheets above the concrete. This i would construct as a flat roof with furring strips (diminishing strips) and bitumen felted or any other flat deck weathering material such as rubber or fibreglass.

The inside of the roof could be battened with 28mm x 25mm roofing lathes, backed with polythene and fit 25 mm celotex between. fix foil backed plasterboards to the battens/lathes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall

I will do just that with the walls . the roof however I have already had bitchumined and dressed with white grave , I dont really want to get onto it to much so will insulate from inside .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back