Out buildings wiring from main supply box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here goes, we have recently got our hands on an old run down farm house and out buildings. The power comes into a large distribution box in the middle of the yard with the meter and various fuses in the box. This box then has a cable running to supply the house and its own fuse box a cable to supply the barn and the garage. I needed power in the stable so extended the ring main under ground to a junction box in the stable. I plan to change this junction box to a RCB inside the stable and run lighting circuits and power circuits from there. Would it be better to have each building having its own RCB or to have one main fuse box??? At the moment the barn garage and stable all share 1 master 30amp fuse but that's for the lights and wall sockets!!! I was thinking to wire 3 or 4 runs to the main power supply and have seperate circuits and fuses for all buildings and systems as I still need power to one more building.

Sponsored Links
Running a ring main out to a stables creates a number of serious hazards.

Designing SAFE electrical supplies to out buildings on a farm needs special care. Installing dangerous supplies that work is easy but can be fatal.

This is likely to be a job that an average DIYer will not be capable of doing

Thanks, The only thing that is required in the stable is lighting. Just wondered if rather than running a 20m extension cable out from the garage to a working lamp, it would be better to hard wire a RCB into the small room and run a seperatly fused lighting from there? Bearing in mind that this is no longer a working farm.

Sponsored Links
Sweden does not use ring mains so you could not have extended one to your outbuilding. Where did you actually get the feed from?

Sadly, for many people the term "ring main" is synonymous with "socket circuit" - they have no idea what it means.

There is a feed that comes from the main box in the middle of the yard, this is protected with a big old screw in type fuse. ( I believe it is 30amp) this cable goes under ground through the yard and into a small junction box in the garage, this in turn goes to a double plug socket, and also branches off to a light switch and strip light. All that I was asking is if I could tap into this in coming supply at the junction box with another 4mm cable and run it to another out building in order to fit some lights and maybe a ppwer socket, and would it be better to protect that outgoing circuit with a RCA.

Back