Replacing main box in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

I currently have an old GEC X6036 main switch in my garage running a lighting circuit and 1 double power point at the far end of the garage.

I am looking at adding an extra double power point near the main box and an external double socket such as this one plus running a power supply to my shed.

As this box has the old fashioned ceramic fuses I was looking at upgrading it but am getting somewhat confused as to what I need, so should I just continue using my current box and run the shed lights and external socket from the 2 fuses that are not currently being used and put a junction box on the existing power circuit for the extra internal socket?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Okay so you're basically 're-wiring' your garage circuits & Supply.

1. What sort of Earthing system do you have at the property?
2. Are your supply tails and bonding up to present standards?
3. How is the Garage power supplied? Buried cable? What type/size etc.
4. You will then need a GCU with an 30mA RCD or Use RCBO's
5. You will then need to correctly select MCB's / RCBO's of the correct size
and type for each circuit you intend to install.
5. Accessories will need to be suitable for the environment(s)
6. You will then need to find a Registered Electrician who is prepared to sign your work off as his own THE VERY BEST OF LUCK HERE!!!!!!

Are you sure you wouldn't prefere to ask a sparky to do it???

Sponsored Links
Registered sparks don't check and notify work that you have done. they are only able to certify work they have done themselves.

Any new work must comply with 17th edition wiring regulations. The work you envisage means you will need RCD protection and the old GEC box wont give you that.

So you will need to replace the garage consumer unit and this work is notifiable under Building Regulations Part P.

From your post (and with respect) you dont have the knowledge to do it yourself and have the Local Authority test it (for a large fee).

That's why oharaf has suggested you get a registered spark. He might let you do some of the time consuming work yourself to save some ££.

Buying a socket off eBay isn't the way to save money!!

My advice (too) is find a local electrician. bets place is at www.competentperson.co.uk.

I was going to get a sparks to check it after I had done the work

It you are doing this yourself, you need to notify LABC before any work is started.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

To acheive what you want will not be particularly cheap or easy. Your existing fusebox will not have RCD protection (this is required for socket outlets and possibly for the cables depending on what type they are and how they are installed). It will therefore need to be replaced.
There is also the question of what supplies this old fusebox, and the condition of the rest of the installation.

That item linked to on ebay is overpriced rubbish.
You can get one of these for not much more:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20430...terseal-IP56/Masterseal-IP56-2G-Switch-Socket
or if you really want one of those poorly made efforts as on ebay, they can be obtained for a lot less elsewhere.

Registered sparks don't check and notify work that you have done. they are only able to certify work they have done themselves.

Any new work must comply with 17th edition wiring regulations. The work you envisage means you will need RCD protection and the old GEC box wont give you that.

My advice (too) is find a local electrician. bets place is at www.competentperson.co.uk.

The garage is fed from an RCD protected Consumer unit in the house which was fitted about 18 months ago by a registered sparky. The cable is buried underground and the sparky said, at that time, that it was sufficient for the job.

The eBay socket I showed was just an example, as I was already looking at the Masterseal ones.

Maybe all I will do at the moment is add the extra double socket and look at putting power into the shed at a later time when I can afford to have a sparky do it for me, and change the GEC box then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back