Replacing garage fuse box with RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace an old fuse box in my garage. It has a lighting circuit and a power breaker double socket for running off power tools or mowers. Can I just replace old fuse box with small RCD consumer unit, please?
I take it that as this is a replacement, I could just get this checked over by my retired electrician friend. No need to contact Building Control is there?

Sponsored Links
The old fuse box can be replaced by a garage consumer unit, normally two circuits one for lights and one for sockets, with 30ma RCD protection.
But it will be deemed notifiable work, so your pal can do it but needs to be notifed to building controls

Hello Mike.
How long has your friend been 'out of the game' so to speak ? The regulations went through another overhaul a few years back and he will need to be on the ball if the building control are involved.
Also test equipment will be needed etc. I doubt if he keeps calibrated test equipment ?. (mines going in the river on my last day, tools and all ,might just drive the whole van in !!) :LOL: :LOL: .

Ed

Thanks for this reply. Ha, I know what you mean about chucking things!

Not sure, but electricity is electricity and the process of replacement will not change, will it? As long as it is safe. I have every confidence that it will be. I think he borrows up-to-date testing gear. I will check with him anyway.

Sponsored Links
No need to contact Building Control is there?

I am afraid the answer to that question is Yes there is a need to contact Building Control. Changing a consumer unit is notifiable work...your insurance company may be interested in the event of any claim...food for thought ?

Plus you've got a good setup already, unless you need more sockets, because the lights are not on an RCD.

What is it about the current installation that you want to change?

Is the garage supplied via the house CU? Does that have an RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back