Out house/lean to/summer house/shed!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure whether to post here or on the buildings page?

I am in desperate need of some more space in my house and I am just not sure what to do or how to do it. I have been looking on ebay and have seen some really fab lean to's/porch style of room that is attached to the back of the house going across the back door, so you just step out of the back door straight into this extra room. This would be perfect for me especially as I am on such a tight budget. A conservatory is not an option.
I am going to try to load the photo's on here of what I have seen that I would like, but I don't know what to buy... can I buy a summer house and attach it to the walls of my house by leaving the back of the summer house off! Would that even work! The floor at the back is concrete and I have decking on top of this, could I just have a summer house floor sit on top of this, attach it securely to the floor and also to the wall of my house....I just have no idea what to do but I really need this room.
I've seen sheds for sale that have double doors and windows, could they be built attached to my house without the back panel on there. Would it be better if I bought some windows and the wood/materials myself for this project. I will have to hire someone to put the room together so ideally I want to get the summerhouse/shed/materials myself. I would be really grateful for any idea's....
I did have a dining room but as my disability is deteriorating I have had a wet room installed in there, so now I have loads of stuff that I need I.E. sofa bed, coats shoes, sideboard and lots of small bits that I just need to store somewhere. I had the coats hanging up in the kitchen but its ruining them. Any advice greatly appreciated, any style or size will do me.
porch 4.jpg
porch 1.jpg
porch 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
the trouble you will have is most sheds and similar buildings will tend to have an overhang all round so removing a wall may not work unless its a flat roof that can be slid to place the overhang to one end
the walls will tend to be no more than minimum to keep overall height to a minimum to avoid needing planning so the 7ft you need is possibly to much for a smaller shed/summerhouse as the walls tend to be around 6ft to maybe 6ft6"
you would need mostly glass to stop all the light being cut out from the house

Looking out for a suitable second hand porch or conservatory is probably a better idea. Any kind of shed summerhouse affair will likely be awful by the time it is half destroyed and lashed back together into something suitable.

A lean-to roof covered with corotherm will at least give you some bright dry storage and if you box the sides in with anything recycled you can get your hands on it needed cost too much as long as it is basic spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back