Outbuilding - rebuild or convert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive the length of this question and apologies if I have ommitted anything key.

Background:

We have a (roughly) 13'x 13', relatively squat outbuilding (was a farm building). It is currently fitted out as a workshop and holds the (obsolete) oil tank for the main house heating.

We'd like to convert this to something more useable, but with the same/similar footprint. Thinking along the lines of a playroom/den/musicroom for the kids, with some storage in the eaves. We have sufficient room to increase the size a little and had considered widening it, to allow us to build a double car-port onto the front.

Things of note:

- currently has a pitched, asbestos roof, which will obviously need to be replaced.
- single skin brick, no dpc, very 'rustic' (ie old damaged bricks, not pretty)
- built on a slope such that current floor level at rear is effectively below ground level (joy)
- has power from main house (but to separate fuse board)
- no plumbing, nor would we anticipate requiring any.
- would need some form of standalone heating
- is very close to main dwelling - alongside - although is totally separate.
- is directly against the boundary (well, forms part of it!) with neighbours (although at the opposite end of their vast garden to their house, and we do get on well with them! Naturally we would discuss it with them).

My Questions:

1. My inclination is that to all intents and purposes we would need to rip it down and start over - any views?

2. What ballpark costs for a
a) 'conversion'(depending to answer above)
b) 'rebuild'

3. I presume there are planning implications depending wether we started again, or converted - what would these be at a high level for either option?

4. our thought was our best next step was to get an architect (overkill?) or decent builder involved to talk it through - again thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I think the only way to 'convert' this would be to rebuild.
Best hire an architect to tackle all the planning and boundary issues for you. A 'have a go' builder with no experience may leave you out of pocket and having nightmares for years to come.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back