Outdoor burst pipe leading to hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a garden house at the side of the house. The white pipe (outside as shown in the photo) which supplies the water, burst over night and it is constantly spraying water from the crack.

Is there a simple way to just isolate water going to this pipe? The only way I've managed to turn it off is by turning off the mains water supply under the sink.

There is a small valve on the white pipe, which I've attempted to turn. It doesn't turn much but it doesn't make any difference. Any help appreciated before I call the emergency plumber. Please see photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20171219_190045.jpg
    IMG_20171219_190045.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20171219_190133.jpg
    IMG_20171219_190133.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_20171219_190154.jpg
    IMG_20171219_190154.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
Make sure you turn the valve so that it's straight across. It will turn it off the water, but even slightly off centre will let water through, so just give it another go. That's totally the wrong pipe for outside use, but if it had been turned off and drained down before the cold weather, it might have survived.

After I applied my Mr Burns strength and turned it as you suggested, it stopped the water. I love you, thank you. Definitely agree, not sure who installed the pipe, but will look at replacing in the new year.

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to disconnect all the external pipework and cap off internally - the chances of the exposed pipe and/or ¼ turn isolator failing are quite high, there's also a possibility of the pipe splitting and possibly pouring into the cavity as I can't see any evidence of the pipe being sleeved through the wall.

When spring arrives, refit the external tap with internal isolator, DC valve and drain down point.

Sorry Finch; my eye sights obviously not so good nowadays. Newboys comments made me take another look a the pipework, and he's right. You need to turn off the internal pipe, and then see if you can remove the elbow outside, pull the pipe back through the wall, and then put an end cap on it. I hadn't spotted the pipe going out the wall half way down, and thought you were trying to turn off the inside pipe, not the external one (I did think it odd that there was one outside as well) which could still freeze and split on that short section. Now, do you know how to disassemble the joints.

thanks all. I've only turned the valve on the outside white pipe, this has stopped water bursting out of the same external pipe. I wouldn't really be comfortable completely disconnecting it, I know I would make matters worse, so will call a plumber for this. Are you saying I should address the issue immediately? Now that the leak has stopped by turning the external valve, I thought I could pick this back up with a plumber in the new year, or am I inflicting more damage that I'm not aware of?

I don't think the pipes going to split in the wall, but if you get a really cold spell, then it could split the pipe just before the outside valve. See if you can wrap it as well as possible, and then you may be able to wait till next year, but no, you're not inflicting more damage, but you need to be aware of the possible issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back