Outdoor garden lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another question from someone who has no idea about electrics but want to SAFELY give this a go:

I want some garden spotlights (similar to Fernando Outdoor Spotlights in Black - Pack of 4 Lights in B&Q). I have no power outside.
I want to install a garden plug socket to plug the lights into.
Can anyone please take five mins out and give me a few tips/instructions? Please assume I have idea what cable names/sizes, rcd, circuit or any of these terms mean.

I am more used to words like "yellow wire, blue wire, plug, socket, switch". Thick - I know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The first thing you need to know/find is a suitable power source, to either take a feed from a nearby socket circuit or directly from the consumer unit (fuse board)

Then once you have found that, then you would need to make an informed decision from there.
A ring final circuit has a few more restriction than a radial regarding taking spurs from.

So some investigation is required as there are a number of variables that we need to exclude, before better information can be offered.

Socket outlets will require 30mA RCD protection, this may already be on circuit but may not, buried cable should routed within permitted safe zones or mechanically protected. There is plenty of info in Wiki regarding electrical design, installation, commissioning.

PBoD, I think he meant to type ........"I have NO idea what cable names........"

In which case everything you have posted may as well been in double dutch for all he will understand about it, Lol.

I don't think my post was over complexed! If the OP has very little knowledge on electrical systems and terminology, then having a browse through the electrical section of Wiki would be a good place to start or a browse through the yellow pages would be a logical alternative.

Sponsored Links
Until recently DIY work in the garden required notification under the Part P rules in Wales it still does unless you used a pre-assembled system.

Blagdon power system was an attempt to get around the old law and simply plugs in. I don't like the system however I have to admit where knowledge is limited it does have some advantages.

I would use petroleum jelly on connections to make it a little more water proof other wise is simply follow the simple instructions.

It is not cheap and you may find getting an electrician to do the work is cheaper but with the very limited skills you have it is the only real way I can see you safely doing the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back