Garden Electrical Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought an outdoor electrical enclosure which holds a standard 4 gang extension lead to power things such as decking lights, xmas lights and any electric garden tools. I would like to control power via an external waterproof switch instead of unplugging individual plugs within the enclosure.
Can the 4 gang be wired directly into an outdoor switch to allow power on/off or should it be plugged into an outdoor socket that is then controlled via a separate outdoor switch. I do not want to use an outdoor socket with switch as do not want to keep opening and closing the waterproof box.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
An outdoor switch would have to be wall mounted. You might as well wall mount a socket, unless things you plug in have large wall-wart transformers.

Of course, the big 4-gang box thing is designed as a bodge. It means its not a fixed item and therefore is not notifiable. If you were to start fixing electrical accessories to the wall (which you'd have to do), it becomes notifiable (under Part P of the building regs).

In your case, it sounds like the 4-gang box is trying to do too much. Its not sealed unless all 4 screws are tightened, which must be a bore if you do this every time you plug in your lawnmower. You'd be better off with a wall-mounted switched outdoor socket that is weatherproof even with the lid shut. The lid on these snap shut and open easily. Then plug in your 4-gang box in one socket for the lights (it can remain plugged in indefinitely) and use the other socket on the wall for lawnmower etc.

Thanks for the response Steve. My only concern with using the switched outdoor socket was the fact that I will need to be opening and closing this alot in the summer, when the decking lights will be used alot. Is this likely to wear the seal at all or are these types of housings designed to be opened and closed on a regular basis.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

The seals dont wear out (not within 10 years anyway lol), they are designed to be opened and shut.

Just make sure you buy MK ones and not a cheapo one. Click the image for a link to an online retailer. Also, use a proper gland.

Please search the forum for Part P, you need to be aware of it if you arent already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back