Outdoor heater cable extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at getting one of these to complete a courtyard project:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outsunny-O...01KYUNLJ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They only come with 1.5m of cable which after talking to someone at another supplier of a similar thing said that this was regulation. I can't find anything to confirm this, but nor can I find anything with a longer cable.

Would it be possible to have an electrician open the heater up/extend the lead and wire it into a switch so that we wouldn't have to get an extension cable out every time we wanted to use it? By the time the cable would reach the switch from where the heater hangs, I think it would need to be about 5m. Apart from it potentially voiding any warranty, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible, but then again they must be made with a short cable for a reason.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well - the cable will have to be extended somehow unless you want it within the 1.5m of your consumer unit, whether this is by fitting a long cable to the lamp or by the fixed wiring of the building.

However, you say "so that we wouldn't have to get an extension cable out every time we wanted to use it" so how and to what are you going to fix this cable?

I do not understand "By the time the cable would reach the switch from where the heater hangs, I think it would need to be about 5m". Would the supplied flex not then be fitted to this switch?

Anyway, are you sure the lamp is safe and meant for the UK? The description is written in poor English (although not rare these days) indicating it is from a foreign seller. Possibly somewhere less scrupulous.

Plus this does not look wise - although it mentions a remote control

upload_2019-6-5_0-9-9.png

Would it be possible to have an electrician open the heater up/extend the lead and wire it into a switch so that we wouldn't have to get an extension cable out every time we wanted to use it? By the time the cable would reach the switch from where the heater hangs, I think it would need to be about 5m. Apart from it potentially voiding any warranty, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible, but then again they must be made with a short cable for a reason.

Cheers

It's chinese so quality is dubious, some sparks may do what you want but I would'n't. Anyway I don't see much difference between using an extension lead and a light with a 5 metre flex.

The reason for the short flex could be that it is meant to be connected to the permanent house wiring because this could be deemed safer than an extension lead.

In any case the lamp/extension lead should be connected via a 30mA RCD for your safety.

Sponsored Links
I extended the cable on a similar outside heater, but used inside, just crimped the ends where it fitted inside the back of the heater, using heat resistant flex.

Variable heat settings are helpful though.

Blup

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back