Outdoor electricity supply for swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built an enclosure for my 12ft above ground pool (metal framed) and, at present, am using an extension lead for the pump and pool heater.

I want to install a PERMANENT power source for the heater (3kw) and the pump (2.5kw). I have been told various different ways of doing this:

1. spur off a socket with a 13amp RCD and run 1.5mm armoured cable from the RCD outside to the outdoor socket (B&Q staff!!)

2. as above but with spur as 20A RCD box and using 2.5mm cable(neighbour).

3. install 32A RCBO at CU, run 2.5 mm cable into junction box (indoors), then 2.5mm armoured cable out of box to outdoor socket (my idea, prob most dangerous lol)

would any of the above be suitable?? If not any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Stick with an RCD protetected extension lead, dear......

"The English Summer consists of three fine days and a thunderstorm".

Charles II.

Why, by the way, did you build your pool 12ft above ground?

Lucia.

Diameter is 12ft lol.

I know British summer time is crap thats y I built an enclosure around it and want the power supply so that it can still be used, even when the weather is no good.

Extension leads are no good in the rain even with an RCD!!!!!

You have a total power draw of 5.5KW. This kind of load means you should not be spurring off a ring.

Installing a 32A RCBO at the CU and then running from there is a sensible approach. You should use single socket outlets since doubles aren't designed to take large loads.

Size of the cable will depend on the distance but will certainly be at least 4mm.

Make sure the cable is burried appropriately.

Mkae sure you use CW glands for termintion in outdoor enclosures and drill a small drain hole so that when a tiny ammount of water does leak in (pretty much inevitable) it has a way to get out.

Be aware that this is notifiable work under part P.

Sponsored Links
you will be wasting your time and money in my oppinion

3kw wont keep the air warm never mind the water once the chill sets in in the night time

once the night temperature drops below around 12 degrees the mass off the water will never warm up and the heat loss will make a 3kw heater no more than taking the chill off the air :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

total length of cable will be approx. 50 metres.

enclosure is fully insulated which will reduce heat loss from outdoor temps. I also have a solar cover which helps retain heat loss from the top of the pool.

all depends on how much insulation and how much glass/plastic

I have built an enclosure for my 12ft above ground pool (metal framed) and, at present, am using an extension lead for the pump and pool heater.
What kind of extension lead are you using over 50m for a 5.5kW load? :eek:

1. spur off a socket with a 13amp RCD and run 1.5mm armoured cable from the RCD outside to the outdoor socket (B&Q staff!!)
Ridiculous. Please report the person who told you that to the store manager - whoever he was he knows so little about electrics that he shouldn't even be telling people which aisle to look in. He could get someone killed through his incompetence.

2. as above but with spur as 20A RCD box and using 2.5mm cable(neighbour).
Don't listen to your neighbour either.

3. install 32A RCBO at CU, run 2.5 mm cable into junction box (indoors), then 2.5mm armoured cable out of box to outdoor socket (my idea, prob most dangerous lol)
You're getting closer with the 32A device, but you're way out on the cable size in more than one way.

Please read this: http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.html for information on why you're wrong. This calculator is also useful, but note for SWA you should select 2-core even if you're using 3-core, and PVC even if you're using XLPE.

You also need to get hold of, as a minimum, the On-Site Guide, the Electrician's Guide To The Building Regulations, and the Wiring Regulations themselves as you need to find out all about swimming pool zones, outdoor and buried cable installation, earthing & bonding, export of TN-C-S earths etc.

You will need to obtain, and learn how to use, test equipment so that you can be sure your work is safe.

Finally, as all of this work will be notifiable you need to read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p so that you know what your legal obligations are.

Thanx for the advice everyone. I think, after reading all your comments, it will be much safer to bring in a qualified sparky!!!

If anyone would like to quote me for the job, please post me a reply

cheers again

steve.

Accident-Waiting.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back