Power cable for outdoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a small above ground swimming pool (12') about 25 metres away from my garage and it's consumer unit. My Plan was to buy some 2.5mm arctic cable to run to the pool area (attaching it to a wall), to provide a single power socket (for garden strimmer etc.), and then 2 swiches, 1 for the Pump and one for the Heater. The heater is 3kw, and I'm pretty sure this cable would be fine. However I've just found the right length of armoured cable, but I'm pretty sure it's only 1.5mm - should I use that, or go with my original plan?

Sponsored Links
neither.

get a qualified electrician in.

there is more to what you suggest than it appears, also there is part p building regulation to consider, which is also why its cheaper to get an electrician

Is this a new build pool or an old pool?? In retrospect, if its an old pool, does it already have a heater installed?? Need to know more info before any advice being given.

If it's new build, surely it would need notification to the council, in which case they will ask for electrical work to be performed by registered spark anyway!!

Sponsored Links
jondiy said:
Is this a new build pool or an old pool?? In retrospect, if its an old pool, does it already have a heater installed?? Need to know more info before any advice being given.

makes no differnce, at the minute there is no supply to the pool, so part p does come in to it :cry:

jondiy said:

If it's new build, surely it would need notification to the council, in which case they will ask for electrical work to be performed by registered spark anyway!!

As stated, it's a "small above ground" pool, which is in enclosed area (stop kids getting to it) with a small hut next to it, to house the pump/heater and (eventually) electrics.

Currently it's running of an extension lead (with rcd and heat cut out on it) although we don't use the heater that often (only reaon we have it is because I bought it cheap and fixed it, lcd/control panel was configurred incorrectly).

mat-d-rat said:
jondiy said:

As stated, it's a "small above ground" pool, which is in enclosed area (stop kids getting to it) with a small hut next to it, to house the pump/heater and (eventually) electrics.

Currently it's running of an extension lead (with rcd and heat cut out on it) although we don't use the heater that often (only reaon we have it is because I bought it cheap and fixed it, lcd/control panel was configurred incorrectly).

makes no differnce, its outside and new wiring, so part p comes in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back