outdoor light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Possibly a silly question but would this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMZV700.html be okay for a switch for an outdoor light at home. The existing switch is a single one, normal sized....and it would just mean the light would be on in the dark in winter - we live in the country so street lamps are non existant.

ta

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK as long as your outside light is within the wattage range for the compatable light types or the adapor used.
You will probably need at least a 25mm backbox for it.

25mm backbox? Does this mean a) I probably can't use the one there, and b) I'll need to chisel out a hole?

The light shouldn't be a problem...

pete

I don't know, it is one of those jobs that you can't say till you have the parts in front of you and you know what is already there.

Sponsored Links
I use CFLs with both those types of switches, have done for about 5 years without one going wrong.

The manufacturers don't recommend it. You might be less lucky than me.

They will not fit in an ordinary switch box, so unless yours is already well-recessed, you will need to chip it out and mortar in a new one. Or you could use a deep plastic surface box, which might look unsightly, and chip it out next time you are recorating.

The wires behind may be too short if you go over to a surface box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back