Outdoor Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Guys,

A quick question for you. I have a 150W Floodlight fed from it's own 6amp breaker about 2meters away. I wish to add another outside light 60watts and PIR approx 8meters away. The cable will be clipped to an outside wall. I was going to use 1mm heavy duty 3core black flex to wire the new light and PIR. Is this acceptable? - if not what type of cable should be used. I have thought about high-tuff but there won't be enough room to feed this and another cable into the PIR.

Cheers,

Richard

Sponsored Links
If the cable is exposed to the elements, consider if mini-trunking or a length of plastic conduit (rigid or flex), might be a way of prolonging its life - PVC degrades in sunshine and develops crazing which lets in moisture. However, to be fair in the UK climate this can take 10 years plus, so even outdoor extension leads can last years in a shady location. T& E in trunking would be stronger than ordinary flex. Otherwise, conduit, steel armourclad, Hi-tuf and arctic flex are your options, in decreasing life span. Obviously this needs to be balanced aginst mechanical considerations, unless you have room for another box just for cable terminations!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back