Outdoor LED lights

Thanks fellas,any ideas on why the one on the standalone PIR has started flashing and the other on all the time.As said they were ok at first,the standalone has been working fine on its own for over a week,
When outdoor electrical things start behaving wrongly, differently or not at all, it's most commonly due to their having filled up with water. Did you have any heavy rain in the period prior to these changes in behaviour?

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John
it started with a screwfix one that was faulty when put up,which was also set off by boiler flue.Hence fitting the light on its own and a PIR on front corner of house.
This was around three weeks ago,and has been OK up until a second one was fitted on rear of house Saturday.Walk tested it with daytime settings and seemed fine.Set it for night time,Sunday comes and its lit all the time and one on side of house is now constantly flashing.
No rain to note at all,seems strange its occurred after the second one was added.
As mentioned above three core to switch in house out through wall to junction box,four core to PIR on house front.
Switched live neutral earth to first light,then three core from same box off live,neutral and Earth to new one with PIR attached.
Not sure what to try to be honest. Cheers

Sponsored Links
No rain to note at all,seems strange its occurred after the second one was added. ... Not sure what to try to be honest. Cheers
Have you tried disconnecting "the second one" to see if that returns you to the original situation?

Kind Regards, John

No rain to note at all,seems strange its occurred after the second one was added. ... Not sure what to try to be honest. Cheers
Have you tried disconnecting "the second one" to see if that returns you to the original situation?

Kind Regards, John
Not at the moment John,as its at my brothers house where the issue is.
This was a thought of mine also,but can't think why the second light would cause this to happen.
Cheers

Not at the moment John,as its at my brothers house where the issue is. This was a thought of mine also, but can't think why the second light would cause this to happen.
I agree that it's not immediately obvious, but it would make sense to find out whether the second light is causing the problem (rather than it being a coincidence) - if it is, then we can think more!

Are you certain that you didn't create any 'loose connections' when you added the second light?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not at the moment John,as its at my brothers house where the issue is. This was a thought of mine also, but can't think why the second light would cause this to happen.
I agree that it's not immediately obvious, but it would make sense to find out whether the second light is causing the problem (rather than it being a coincidence) - if it is, then we can think more!

Are you certain that you didn't create any 'loose connections' when you added the second light?

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John
I'll be up there Saturday,first thing will be to check all the connections are ok then retry them.
Next will be to dissconect the new one and see if it clears the problem.Seems a few have issues with the LED type.
Thanks anyway I'll get back and let you know what the outcome is Saturday.
Cheers again. Andy

John
Removing the new unit did return the original light to working ok.Put it on a short cable and lit up bright then dimmed but would not go off.
Returned and a new one put up all ok at the moment.Two faulty ones in a short space of time can't be testing them too well.
Thanks again for responding.

Kind Regards, John

I worked on the build of Sizewell B and we had 100's of flood lights mainly fitted to tower cranes. One of our tools was black insulation tape, quite often one set of flood lights would cause another set to do odd things. Especially dusk and dawn, it could be simply which lamp was triggered first. Putting a simple bit on insulation tape on the sensor to reduce the light from one direction was normally enough to cure, if it came off likely it left a mark so next time it was paint.

I think you should use a length of 10 milli SWA just to be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back