Outdoor lights on a 3 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a sheltered area in my garden a bit like a porch, where I have installed 4 Hanging “lantern” style lights. The lanterns themselves are correctly IP rated for outdoor use.

Instead of wiring these to a traditional light switch somewhere inside the house, I asked for them to be connected to a 3 Pin plug, which is then plugged into a socket that’s in my garage. I did this so I can use a smart plug, so I can turn the lights on/off using my phone.

I didn’t stop to think if this was safe or allowed!

The lights currently have 60watt bulbs, so 4 x 60watt. So 240 watts in total.

Is this ok to be used like this?

The porch is attached to the garage, therefore the wiring from the lights to the plug Inside the garage is run through the ceiling and not exposed.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
A plug on the end in a dry garage is perfect.

Why 60W bulbs, not 5W led bulbs?

It was what I already had in my house. I very rarely turn these lights on. Maybe once a month for 30 mins so energy consumption wasn’t a problem.

I will eventually switch them over. But just wanted to make sure I am not over loading the circuit with the current bulbs.

Sponsored Links
loading the circuit with the current bulbs
240W on your garage Circuit will be fine as that is a normal wattage (noting that we cannot see the quality of your circuit).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back