outdoor shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all i have fitted an outdoor shower the pipework is 22 for hot &15 cold the cold works fine but hot is just a bit more than a trickle I have taken it apart there is nothing blocking the flow so im assuming there must be an airlock any ideas as to how to shift them thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a vented system with a tank and a cylinder: If it's an airlock, you need to force mains water up the hot pipe. Have you tried it without the shower connected? Is the cold feed from the tank or from the mains? Does any of the hot pipework run up then down like an inverted V?

hi the hot pipe runs down then horizontal yes i have tried it with the shower connected the cold feed is from the mains thank you for your response

Just to clarify: both hot and cold should be equal pressures. Either:

Cold from tank & hot from tank via the cylinder

or Cold from mains and hot from combi

If you have both mains pressures it's unlikely you would get an airlock.

Are the pipes connected to the shower the correct way round?

Sponsored Links
hi yes the pipes are connected the correct way round from what your saying i have got to plumb the cold from the cold tank do i have to use 22 same as hot pipe or can i use 15?

I would use 22mm to keep the two supplies even.

have a read of this, it might be useful:
http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/inspiration/planning/watersystems.htm

What seems to be happening with your shower is that the pressure of the mains cold water is forcing the hot low pressure water back up the pipe, so the cold is winning.
from what you say, you have run the hot without the valve and it's ok so it's not an airlock.

one more question: When the valve is connected, what is the hot flow like then (without the cold turned on)? Could there be a problem with the hot valve?

this is a woodford outdoor shower that does not freeze it has like a mixer valve in the middle the seats are at the end of tubes about 8" long sorry 200mm to you and the taps washers on the end of rods about 200mm long the hot flow on its own is poor & does not lift the valve in the centre on its own but the cold does and has good flow Hope this make sense

Reading exactly what you have said there is a problem with the flow from the hot tank which is sourced from a loft tank with a potential pressure of about 0.5 bar.

It seems there is an airlock in the hot supply.

As suggested, you need to force a little cold water into the hot supply pipe.

The cold should be balanced pressure but rather than running new pipe work it would be easier to use a pressure reducing valve on the cold supply.

Tony

Hi tony i tried to force cold in to the hot pipe by sealing the outlet and opening both taps but still no improvement i left it like this all night. i will try your suggestion and let you know how i get on thank you for your response

You should never leave it like that for more than a few seconds in case it causes the cold tank level to rise and not be emptied by the warning ( overflow ) pipe.

The shower probably has a non return valve built in which will prevent the backflow you need.

You MIGHT be able to suck on the hot.

Otherwise you will probably need to take shower unit off.

But are you sure the connection to the loft tank is turned on and not blocked and any gate valves are not broken or just the inlet blocked. An engineer I sent to a job once found a ( dead ) mouse blocking a cold feed pipe!

Tony

You should never leave it like that for more than a few seconds in case it causes the cold tank level to rise and not be emptied by the warning ( overflow ) pipe.

The shower probably has a non return valve built in which will prevent the backflow you need.

You MIGHT be able to suck on the hot.

Otherwise you will probably need to take shower unit off.

But are you sure the connection to the loft tank is turned on and not blocked and any gate valves are not broken or just the inlet blocked. An engineer I sent to a job once found a ( dead ) mouse blocking a cold feed pipe!

Tony
True but its the hot which isn't working which should be taken from the cylinder. If the feed from the tank was blocked he would have no hot water anywhere.

He has not told us what other hot outlets he has if any.

I try not to assume anything. Although its difficult not to sometimes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back