Outdoor tap leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will no doubt be very basic but I'm a disaster zone when it comes to DIY so need all the help I can get!

I have a tap outside which is leaking. Pretty sure its just a washer that needs changing. This is where the leak is coming from so I'm guessing a washer replacement will do the trick and the tap can be unscrewed where the washer is to replace it?

IMG_2825.jpeg

This leads me to my second question. Everything I've read says turn the water off under the sink where the pipe outdoors runs but unless I'm missing something I don't think I have that option.

IMG_2827.jpeg

The green pipe is the one going outside so I can't stop that can I? Does that mean I have to track down the stop cock and turn off the water to the whole house?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'd rather not flood the kitchen!

Sponsored Links
That Blue lever on the washing machine tee that’s been used should isolate the water. However once you remove the tap, you then need to bring it in line with the water regulations (unless there’s a double check valve on the tap?). Just seems like it needs ptfe tape, no garden taps I’ve seen recently have washers on them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. That sounds like a 'get a plumber in' job to me given my catastrophic history with DIY!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back