Outdoor Tap Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just discovered the outdoor tap (pic 1 - link below) has been leaking for sometime. Im happy to have a go at replacing the washer, assuming thats what it is, but there's no obviously way to shut off the water supply. Pic 2 shows the pipe immediately inside - can I shut off the water supply by simply turning the screw in the picture or is that a bad idea? If the latter, where am i likely to be able to turn the water supply off?

And secondly, any tips on fixing the tap!?

Thanks in advance.
Adam (leaking tap novice)
//www.diynot.com/network/DINGO1303/albums/

Sponsored Links
Yes you can turn the water off by that isolation valve, Turn the valve 1/4 turn with a screwdriver.

Its an ordinary bibcock tap.....unscrew the large hexagon tap insert to find the 1/2" tap washer beneath. Support the tap if its tight - you don't want to tear it from the wall!
Once you've replaced the washer, turn the tap on before you replace the insert.
John :)

Sponsored Links
These taps often leak from the gland nut as well, where you turn on and off the tap, sometimes the gland nut works its way loose. This is the nut directly under the tap handle. this will not cause the tap to leak from the spout but will leak from the base of the handle. Just needs a little nick up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back