Leaking outdoor tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a leaking outdoor tap that leaks out of the points marked A and B (see pic). It only leaks when the water is coming out and is under pressure (i.e. open the tap and have a hose + spray gun attached). How do I fix this? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
If you undo the gland nut (below a) then wind a couple of turns of ptfe around spindle then push the gland nut down retighten.
Don't over tighten or the tap willbe to stiff to turn on/off.

Your tap is leaking from around the spindle, a very common problem. Repair is easy, fortunately!

Sometimes you can fix this very simply. Spray the spindle and nut which your arrows point to with WD40, then using an adjustable spanner, turn the nut clockwise half a turn or so. This will compress the "gland packing" which should help re-establish a watertight seal round the spindle.

If this doesn't do the trick, even when the nut's fully tightened down, you'll need to add more gland packing material. Undo the nut completely and lift it up the spindle towards the tap head. Buy a roll of PTFE plumber's tape (very cheap), and break off a bit about a metre long, then twist it to turn it into a long string. Wrap a few turns around the spindle, then ram it down into the space where the nut was using a small screwdriver. Then screw the nut back, and tighten it until the leak stops. You might need to add a bit more, or take some out.

Final option is to replace the whole tap. This is very easy too, and a new tap can be had for £5 or so. Switch the water off at the mains and rotate the whole tap anticlockwise to unscrew it from its base, and discard it. You may need an adjustable spanner or pipe wrench or similar. The new tap simply screws back in its place, but you need to wrap two or three turns of PTFE tape in a clockwise direction around its threads so that the join between it and the base doesn't leak. Take it off and reinstall using more tape if the tap seems to rotate too easily on its base.

Good luck.

EDIT; Seco beat me to it ;)

Thank you both! Will be buying some PTFE tape tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
By "potable", do you mean "wholesome"? ;)

I tend to use loctite55 for some situations, but haven't tried it to repack spindles. Has anyone else found out whether this works or not?

By "potable", do you mean "wholesome"? ;)

I tend to use loctite55 for some situations, but haven't tried it to repack spindles. Has anyone else found out whether this works or not?

Loctite 55 and PTFE tape are both exellent packing materials for glands.
Not a lot of difference bettween the two but in my opinion the edge is
on Loctite 55.

Hemp is a big No No. Don't believe in "The plumber"

Due to the risk to public health Hemp and boss white on potable water fittings has long been outlawed.
That's why they invented Boss Green and Water Hawk, for use on potable water.

Then again, there should be no risk to the nations water supply if a DCV has been fitted or the tap has an integral one.

Anyway, Loctite 55 gets my vote.

Whatever happened to graphite string?

Boss-White & Hemp will last longer on a regularly used tap.

:eek: :eek: Tut! tut.

Due to the risk to public health Hemp and boss white on potable water
fittings has long been outlawed.

I'll give you "Tut-Tut" :)

Boss white is a generic term, including potable comaptible jointing compounds. And, as the location of the hemp is on the packing gland downstream of the double check valve no doubt installed preciously by their registyered plumber it would pose no contamination risk to the rest of the property..... Yeah Right. And who drinks water from an outside tap?

DH

Why is it that on a DIY forum generic terms are used, like ballofix and boss white, expecting the lay DIY-er to know what you really mean?

If you mean something specific, then say it. Don't expect people to guess at what you mean when offering advice!

Left is not right. If you want someone to turn left you say turn right?
Mind you, if my missus is navigating........

Why is it that on a DIY forum generic terms are used, like ballofix and boss white, expecting the lay DIY-er to know what you really mean?

Same reason solicitors use words in common parlance like disbursement vendor, plaintiff. To show who knows most (and therefore 'best'), and that we are worth avery penny we charge. Of Course. ;)

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back