Outdoor tap with occasional loss of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Occasionally, there is no water from the Outdoor tap.

Replaced tap. No difference. Took tap off. Check valves work, washer in place, unscrewed head from the body and tap all clear. Tap mechanics seem to work when off the wall. Sometimes no flow from exposed pipe with tap off the wall.

Peglar double check isolator valve indoors turns ok. Took plastic handle off and turned the spindle with grips on and off. Still the sporadic loss of water occurs.

Had kitchen replaced 2 years ago, but problem only started 1 year ago.

Is it the isolator valve that is likely to be faulty do you think? To replace valve would mean cutting the back of sink cupboard out and my back is painful so would rather not.

Any other thoughts before I call my trusted plumber in to look?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I take it that it is just the garden tap affected, or do you not try other outlets when this fault occurs?

thanks CBW,

the kitchen tap works all the time But didn’t test any other outlets. Maybe a coincidence, but occasionally outdo tap will start flowing if sink tap is turned on and off a few times.

I’m wondering if you have something stuck in the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris.

I had flushed the pipe work through in the past with the tap taken off but sometimes no water runs even with the tap off the wall.

Do you think it’s worth me putting a wet / dry vac on the outdoor pipe work with the tap taken off the wall?

Was the outside tap originally fitted using a self cutting isolation valve into the supply pipework by any chance ?
If not the check valve is suspect

tnx Terryplumb. No self cutting involved. Valve is compression fitting. I will ask our friendly plumber to replace the valve. disappointed in Peglar if it is the valve as I asked for a Peglar valve as this brand was recommended on here. Maybe a rogue valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back