Outdoor Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've changed some plumbing in my kitchen and need to re-do my outdoor tap.

Previous owner had installed it with one of those nasty self cutting strap on boss things which was leaking, which led to a flexible hose to the tap, so i cut that out and replaced it with a proper T piece and a quarter turn isolator.

I'm going to put a double check valve on the inside after the isolator, then need to head out thru the wall.

I'm a little wary of using copper pipe, as though it looks the neatest option, i'm worried about it freezing. I was thinking of using plastic pipe going out thru the wall to the tap, but i think plastic pipe with its bulky push fit fittings might end up looking pretty gash externally, as i'll need to come out the wall then make a 90 degree turn down to the tap.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Complete it in copper and find some insulation for the pipe!

Whether it's plastic or copper, both would freeze and burst if that's the concern.

+1 - As TT suggests

thanks for the info

I figured plastic would be a little more freeze resistant as its sorta flexible, but if its gonna burst just the same then no advantage i guess.

Do i need to insulate the section going thru the blockwork? that might be somewhat tricky? Or do i just insulate the external section and assume theres enough heat in the walls to stop it from freezing there?

Cheers
Kev

Sponsored Links
Insulate the bit going through the wall as well. The transfer of heat (or lack there of, will still affect the pipework going through a penetration. This will also need to be sealed from the outside to stop ingress.

i saw that, but surely if you drill a large enough hole to allow insulating the copper pipe while its travelling thru the wall, the wall plate would be screwed into fresh air?

If you're not intending to use the tap during the winter months, then isolate it before the cold weather arrives and drain the pipework. If the pipework is empty then there's nothing to freeze. ;)

Yeh its nice idea in theory, but inevitably it will get forgotten about.

In our old place, the tap got turned off one winter out of the 4 we lived there.

So i'd like to do my best to minimise the risk of it freezing/bursting, and given its all being redone anyway, it seems like the optimal time to do so!

I've never known anyone insulate the pipe where it goes through the wall, as long as the tap and any exposed pipework are well lagged then it should stand a chance in the frost. If it's that cold then no amount of lagging is guaranteed to prevent it freezing.

Yup, must agree.

As long as the exposed pipework is protected then the pipe in the wall should be fine. Never seen insulation within the wall myself either, very rarely does it get that cold in the UK for long enough.

Just remember to seal the hole up from outside.

Really?

Although I have only done a couple, I always poke loose lagging in the hole.

Thanks for the info guys, that'll save me quite a bit of time in future. :LOL:

TT, just never seen it is all - :)

Is there any reason you shouldn't do it, certainly not.

Just that the brick acts as an insulator and as long as the hole is sealed to avoid water and freezing air getting in then I haven't ever found an issue.

I've never known anyone insulate the pipe where it goes through the wall, as long as the tap and any exposed pipework are well lagged then it should stand a chance in the frost. If it's that cold then no amount of lagging is guaranteed to prevent it freezing.

Thanks for saying that. I totally agree. Plumbing has got all to p0ncy in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back