Isolating value on an outdoor tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a extension done last year and requested a tap for outside.

Plumber came and did it. However a year latter ive read about isolating values. Also a few months back the water man knocked at the house and told me I needed an isolating value on the outdoor tap.

Anyways ive also got another possible problem. The outdoor tap does not come straight out through the wall.

There is 15mm copper pipe going up to it, and no isolating value!

THing is, is this acceptable as it will freeze in the winter wont it? (Although ive been through one winter already with it as it is)

Also where should the isolating value be fitted? Inside the house or on the ourside in between the copper pipe running up to the house?

If its inside then its gonna be a big job as all decoraring flooring has been done where the pipe connection goes through.

Also im assuming the vale has to be accessible and not under the flooring?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I usually put the isolating valve inside, somehwere accesible, no chance of the valve freezing then and quick to get at if you need too. copper pipe outside is asking to be frozen, so get some insulation on it. I hope your plumber has put a double check valve in too ;) or maybe he will come back in a couple of months and tell you it needs doing, to get some more cash from you.

thanks for your reply mate.

Unfortunately plumber was a sub contractee of the company that done the extnesion. he done his stuff for the extension etc and then left.

Gonna be difficult to get a valve on the inside now :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back