Outdoor wiring. 4 cables from flicker, 3 cables in new floodlight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I will be happy if someone can help me ;)
Cable running from house has 4 wires in it. 3 standard colors and 4th gray one. Old floodlight (on picture) was operated by sensor and by flicker inside the house. New LED one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TDNQ1N7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) has 3 wires cable, standard colors. How can I connect it safely? I will be using junction box. Do I just connect 3 cables color matching and secure the grey one with isolation tape? Will it still work with flicker, or just sensor?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_084725.jpg
    IMG_20210427_084725.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like the old floodlight could either be operated manually by a switch or automatically by the sensor. Therefore you have a permanent live, a switched live, a neutral, and an earth in the 3core+earth cable. The new floodlight only has one live connection, so it will only switch on (automatically) when the sensor tells it to. Basically you can connect either the switched live or the permanent live to the live cable on the new floodlight, depending on whether or not you want to be able to isolate it.
I can't tell you for certain which wire is which, you would need to test this. It is not entirely clear from the picture whether black or grey is neutral, although it is clear that the brown is permanent live.

Hi. Thanks. And how do I secure the live wire I won't be using? Is isolating tape wrapped around enough?

Sponsored Links
You should use a connector block to terminate and secure the unused live wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back