Outer leaf removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this site. I'm hoping someone can answer my query. I am in the middle of renovating my house. I am knocking a doorway through from my bedroom to an en-suite. The bedroom is in an extension that was built and the en-suite is in the original building. The doorway is going through the old exterior wall. When the extension was built they just boxed in the soffit that looks like a boxed in beam. The reason for this is because it is a concrete soffit made of slabs that bridge from the outer leaf to the inner leaf. The inner leaf then has another line of brick that the hipped roof of the original building and the hipped roof of the extension sits on. Would I be able to prop up both sides of the wall and remove the concrete slabs and replace with brick hence removing the ugly boxed in soffit? Also if I am going to the trouble of propping the whole wall would I be able to remove the outer leaf of the wall now it is an internal wall. I have removed the plasterboard from both sides and nothing is sitting on the outer leaf. I just wonder if the slabs of concrete bridging the 2 leaves are spreading the load or is the load just on the inner leaf that the roof is sitting on. It seems a lot of work for not much space but it will actually help in what is a tight for space room. Any advice is much appreciated.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/outer-leaf-removal.442484/#ixzz3mJ0FenxV

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back