Removing outer leaf or skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to everyone i'm glad i've stumbled upon this site,
My question is this i'm in the process of renovating a house, after removing the old render and on what my surveyor has found all the wall ties are rusted away, this is not a problem for me to do after 25yrs in the building trade, but all the brickwork on the gable end is beyond repair and rather than take out all the bricks one at a time to renew which would end up 3/4 of the gable end.
I was just going to remove the outer leaf/skin and rebuild the full gable leaving the inner leaf as this is ok, then i can install new ties as i build up.
Now am i right in thinking that i can just remove the outer leaf/skin without any problems as all the floor joists and roof supports are attached to the inner leaf/skin.
This is the gable end and i'm only taking it down to about 6ft from floor level, both inner and outer brickwork is both the same as both are built with the old Whitehaven brick.
Any words of advice would be a great help,
To summarise the outer skin supports nothing and as the wall ties are rusted away lots of the wall does move when i push against it near and window openings.
Thanks Brian

Sponsored Links
Removing the outer leaf should not be a problem.

It would actually help matters if there were some of the roof elements bearing down on the inner leaf, i.e. purlins for example, as these would stabilize and restrain the inner leaf whilst work is carried out.

If not, it may pay you to fix the odd restraint strap to the inner leaf whilst you carry out remedial work to the outer skin gable.

Taking the outer skin should be no problem as noseall said. Did a job for Brighton council in the early 80's where the outer skin was removed and then rebuilt with flexible timber frame ties screwed to the inner skin.

Sponsored Links
Excellent i can now be sure guys cheers, it was one of those jobs that you kind of think you can do it but just need someone else to say you can also.
Thanks alot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back