Which lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice and help please.
I am planning a two storey extension to a gable end and am draughting the building regs drawings. The gable end is cavity wall.
The existing outer leaf will now become the new inner wall and I (preferably a builder} will be knocking through the gable to the new extension. What kind of lintel do I use to support the two leafs? Can I support the new first floor joists to the existing outer leaf? Will the existing facing brick be load bearing?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
what will the clear span be of the intended openings?

doorway size openings can be spanned using pcc builders lintels.

larger openings require steel lintels, either manufactured pressed steel or rsj.

The opening will be 900 wide - standard opening.
I just want to know if I can use a standard Catnic as the wall is now two leaf load bearing.
Thanks for the reply.

One lintel per skin, Catnic fine, PCC cheaper, if both walls to be internal then will no doubt be boarded over so no need to spend on Catnic

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can support your new floor off the existing gable. Fix a wall plate and use joist hangers to carry the new floor joists.

Thanks for the help. Spoke to a lintel supplier this morning and they will supply generic calcs. to keep BRegs happy.

i wouldn't have thought calc's were necessary for a 900mm opening.

at that span, a pcc builders lintel will hold nearly a trillion tonnes. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back