outhouse conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of converting an old dark room in my garden into an office. It is a single brick construction with concrete floor. I know the roof/windows/doors need sorting but how am i best getting it 'habitable' ie warm/not damp etc. Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Dryline walls with battens+ plasterboard........Rising damp doesn`t exist so no worries about that ;) :LOL:

thanks for that - what about the floor - I guess there is no DPM in that and I would obviously want a floor finish/carpet or similar? :?: would i need to do anything about ventilation to the roof. currently it is joists that need replacing with rotten ply and then felt. also any ideas about insulation?

The floor will be cold, you might put down poly dpc, insulating foam boards, and a floating wood or laminate floor on that. Most of your heat will go through the ceiling, if you are having the roof done, you could plasterboard it with ordinary loft insulation between the joists.

You can get plasterboard with an insulating rigid foam layer incorporated. If the headroom is insufficient deal with this before doing the roof (e.g. by adding a few extra courses to the walls).

Sponsored Links
no12rugby said:
thanks for that - what about the floor - I guess there is no DPM in that and I would obviously want a floor finish/carpet or similar? :?: would i need to do anything about ventilation to the roof. currently it is joists that need replacing with rotten ply and then felt. also any ideas about insulation?

Do not replace the joists with rotten ply :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back