outhouse wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an outhouse, and want to take electricity out there. I plan to have a lighting ring (there will be 3 rooms) and a socket ring. I intend to run the power from the main MCB in the house, directly to an MCB in the outhouse, which will then feed the rings. Grateful for answers to the following questions:

1. What rating of MCB socket ('fuse') do I need to run the wire from out of the house?
2. I know I need armoured wire to run from the house. What type? I assume 3 core, 1.5mm2 - or should it be bigger?
3. How many sockets do I need on my outhouse MCB?
4. What rating do I need for the lighting circuit (4 x 100w pendant-type lights)?
5. What rating do I need for the socket circuit (6 x double sockets)?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
this question is not as straitforward as it may seem, (also been asked loads of times before)
I would also suggest that you get an electricain in to do it for you (although you can save money by digging the trench) as if you search these forums for:

power to garage, power outside, outside building power

you will see there is quite often more to it than meets the eye, and can you terminate a steel wire armoured cable

Mark, firstly, how far is it from the consumer unit in your house to the proposed location of the consumer unit that will be in the outhouse?

1.Before determining the cable, we need to know the distance.

2. Regardless of that, 1.5mm2 will NOT be big enough for your purposes.

3. Lighting circuits are NOT rings, nore is there any need for them to be.

4. What type of machinery/equipment will you be running from the sockets in your outhouse.

5. You cannot run the supply directly from one MCB to another that then runs other circuits in the manner you propose.

6. What make is your existing consumer unit...this has a bearing on how you run the supply to your outhouse as some manufacturers will enable to run from the consumer directly using an RCBO, others do not make RCBO's of the rating required..hence asking the question.

As you can see this is not straightforward, you need to have indepth knowledge of electrical circuits and circuit protection for safety, but also for compliance with the Regulations.

I would strongly urge you to seek professional help..of the electrical type :)..in order to have this work completed and certified as safe.

This is not really the work a DIYer should do unless EXTREMELY experienced and knowledgable about electrical systems.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice - I'll be calling the electrician!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back